Your answers to questions 2 to 5 will be evaluated by expert scientists to determine if they can offer any approaches to solving your problem.
Your answers to questions 2 to 4 can be up to 400 words long. Your answer to question 5 can be up to 50 words long.
Do not include any website addresses (URLs) in your answers for questions 1 to 4. Your answer to question 5 must only include the link and password to your video on Vimeo.
Question1. Special Drawing Rights declaration(not evaluated)
Please download the declaration template. You must complete this, declaring any awards, including those made under De minimis and Special Drawing Rights (SDR) subsidies, (from any source of public funding) over a rolling 3 fiscal year period.
You must also keep all documentation relating to this and other De minimis awards for a period of 10 years and be prepared to release it to any public funding body which requests it.
Please write “declaration attached” in the text box.
Question 2: Problem
What is the measurement or analysis problem that you need to solve?
You must summarise:
- what the core of the problem is as described in your video submission
- what your major challenges are in understanding this problem
- any important aspects of the problem that you were unable to show in the video submission
Question 3: Previous attempts to solve the problem
What methods or techniques have you previously tried to solve the problem?
Describe or explain:
- what you did to understand or address the problem
- what success or otherwise you had when trying to address the problem
Question 4: Value to your business of solving the problem
What difference will it make to your business if you can solve this problem?
Describe or explain:
- what you estimate the value of the benefit to be (in £) if this problem is solved
- how you arrived at this estimate
- what components contribute to this benefit estimate in terms of productivity and competitiveness gains, such as savings in waste, higher quality products or services, or increased sales or market share
We want to balance helping the most businesses with making the most impact with the money available. Assessors are looking for realistic values here, not necessarily the biggest numbers.
Question 5: Video link and password
You must upload a video to Vimeo that describes or shows the problem you are looking to solve.
It must be no longer than 2 minutes. If your video is over 2 minutes long, only the first 2 minutes will be used to assess your application.
Please ensure your video is ‘unlisted’ in the privacy settings. Give the link and any passwords required in your answer to this question (specifying case-sensitive characters accurately). If we are unable to view your video or it is not hosted on Vimeo your application will be made ineligible. The video must remain available until 15 November 2021.
More information on how to create an unlisted video on Vimeo.
If you cannot upload your video to Vimeo, you must contact email@example.com at least 5 working days before the competition closes for advice or to ask permission to use an alternative platform.