Eureka Eurostars 2 Call 8
EUREKA Eurostars is aimed at innovative small to medium enterprises (SMEs) wanting to take part in collaborative research with partners across Europe and associated countries. Innovate UK manages UK applications. Registration closes 14 September 2017.
- Competition opens: Monday 24 July 2017
Registration closes: Thursday 7 September 2017 12:00pm
Please note that registration does not close until Thursday 14 September 2017. Register here.
Small businesses working on high-quality research and development projects across national borders often find it difficult to attract public-sector funding. Eurostars was set up to overcome this barrier to innovation.
Eurostars will help SMEs to lead international collaborative research and innovation projects by:
- easing access to support and funding
- the possibility to innovate by cooperating with other SMEs
A research-performing SME is one which:
- invests 10% or more of turnover into research, or
- has 10% of full-time equivalent staff working on research activities, or
- has 5 or more full-time staff working on research activities, if the SME has 100 or fewer employees, or
- has 10 or more full-time staff working on research activities, if the SME has 100 or more employees
Maximum grant budget is €360,000 per UK project partner, grant rate is up to 60% of eligible project costs,
Find out if you are eligible to apply
In the UK, only SMEs are eligible for funding. The main partner must be a research and development (R&D) performing SME.
UK eligible project costs follow the UK domestic rules.
In addition to the above, the following eligibility criteria must be met at the closing date for the application. The eligibility criteria is applicable throughout the whole duration of the project.
- UK SMEs can only take part in one Eurostars project at any one time
- your final project report on an existing project, must have been accepted by the Eurostars secretariat before the application deadline. Holders of existing Eurostars projects can apply for other Innovate UK funding without this restriction
- participants must be separate non-linked legal entities
- companies must be registered at Companies House and trading for 12 months at the closing date for applications
- all work must be carried out in the UK and project costs must be incurred in the UK
- labour costs have to be PAYE
- UK subcontracting is capped at 20% of the UK partner eligible costs
- UK lead projects must be managed by an SME as per the Eurostars criteria. Project Management cannot be subcontracted
Each participating country has its own eligibility criteria. You must make sure that your partners follow the criteria of their National Funding Body.
Projects that we won't fund
The UK will not fund academics/universities, Research and Technology Organisations (RTOs) or large companies. These organisations can participate but must self-fund or use funds from other sources.
UK SMEs who are successful in this competition will receive either 360,000 euros or 60% of their eligible projects costs, whichever is the least.
Eurostars is the only European funding programme to be specifically dedicated to support R&D-performing SMEs in their innovative R&D projects. Its bottom-up approach, which gives companies full control over project content. It supports international collaborative research and innovation projects that will be rapidly commercialised.
- 24 July 2017
- Competition opens
- 7 September 2017 12:00pm
- Registration closes
- 14 September 2017 12:00pm
- Competition closes
- 31 January 2018
- Applicants notified
Before you start
In order to apply for a Eurostars project and submit your application, you must create a Eurostars account.
Eurostars will send you an email with your sign in information. This will allow you to access the restricted website and the application form. Using your email and password, you can access your own personal workspace on the website.
Using the tool bars, navigate your way through the various sections of the application form and complete them as required. Edit, save and retrieve drafts, or download the content as a PDF so that you can email it to your partners. There are various guidelines to help you:
- download guidelines for using the online application system to see an overview of the online portal and the electronic submission system
- download guidelines for completing an application to see an overview of the online application form and information on how to complete the various sections
- download Eurostars eligibility guidelines. This document provides applicants with an explanation of the project eligibility criteria by Eurostars and the method of calculation.
- each participating country has its own eligibility criteria, so you must make sure that all partners follow the national eligibility criteria of their National Funding Body.
Applications can only be submitted using the
Eurostars online tool.
Application forms and other documents submitted via any other means will be automatically rejected.
Background and further information
For further information about Eurostars, please see the FAQs.
Each participating country has a National Project Coordinator (NPC). To find yours, please choose your country from the list of 36 Eurostars Participating States and Partner Countries
If you need more information, contact the competition helpline on 0300 321 4357 or email us at email@example.com
Need help with this service? Contact us