In the UK, only SMEs are eligible for funding. The project must be led by a research-performing SME, one that:
- invests 10% or more of its turnover into research, or
- has 10% of its full-time equivalent staff working on research activities, or
- has 5 or more full-time staff working on research activities, if the SME has 100 or fewer employees, or
- has 10 or more full-time staff working on research activities, if the SME has more than 100 employees
Your business must fit the EU definition of an SME.
You must follow:
1. UK SMEs can only take part in one Eurostars project at a time.
2. If you have an existing project, your final project report on it must have been accepted by the Eurostars secretariat before the application deadline for this competition. You can apply for other Innovate UK funding without this restriction.
3. Partners must be separate, non-linked legal entities.
4. Partners must be registered at Companies House for 12 months and have been trading for 12 months at the competition application deadline.
5. All work must be carried out in the UK and your project costs must be incurred in the UK.
6. Your labour costs must be on a pay as you earn (PAYE) basis.
7. UK subcontracting is capped at 20% of the UK partner eligible costs.
8. UK-led projects must be managed by an SME. Project management cannot be subcontracted.
Your partners must follow the eligibility criteria of their countries’ national funding bodies.