‘Demonstrating tomorrow’s trains today’ is the first in a series of FOAK themes. In this theme we are looking for a range of technologies which create a highly interactive and innovative demonstration within a passenger railway vehicle or similar.
The specific objectives of the activity are a physical demonstration of innovation in the rail industry to prove:
- the technology works as designed when integrated into larger complex systems and delivers the outcomes expected
- the technology is accepted by, and delivers benefits for, customers and the broader rail industry
- the revenue potential for the innovation within a real commercial context
- the financing and business models for the innovation in a commercial project
- the team’s delivery capability within a complex programme and consortium structure
Without these elements of proof it is difficult to sell innovation to customers, get insurance, supply warranties and attract financing.
Your application must demonstrate the potential benefits to passengers, explaining:
- why customers would buy the product
- how the funding will help companies in the consortium grow and result in broader economic benefits
At the end of each project we expect to see a full demonstration in an environment where railway customers and industry representatives will be able to witness the product as a compelling business proposition. Your project must include:
- a demonstration phase
- the collection of customer feedback
- the definition of routes to market
Your proposal must take into consideration user feedback of the demonstration, whether from rail industry employees or passengers.
We will fund projects that demonstrate an innovation in a customer-facing situation within a passenger rail vehicle or similar. We will fund integration and the direct user testing of your innovation. Your solution must be field-tested and ready for use with a potential customer by the end of your project. A demonstration activity and collection of customer feedback should form part of your project.
Proposals will be assessed on their potential for successful exploitation in a railway environment. We encourage you to discuss potential requirements in relation to regulations, policy and requirements with potential customer organisations before finalising submissions.
We aim to enable innovative suppliers to take the final step to market readiness. You must prove that your innovation is well developed to a high Technology Readiness Level (TRL) and delivers the expected outcomes when it is integrated in complex real-world railway applications.