Any UK registered business claiming funding must be eligible to receive state aid at the time we confirm you will be awarded funding. If you are unsure, please take legal advice. For further information see our general guidance.
You can claim up to £5.8 million in grant for your project. Your project’s total eligible costs must be greater than £5 million and no more than £25 million.
Projects must start by 1 October 2020 and end by January 2024. We expect projects to last a minimum of 24 months.
To lead a project your organisation must:
The lead organisation must show one of the following:
- that they operate in an industry sector requiring secure products or services
- evidence of a credible and recognisable influence that they have on the target market or markets
- that they can lead on a new market or sector
The project team must consist of at least 3 partners, including the lead organisation.
To collaborate with the lead organisation your organisation must:
- be a UK registered business, academic institution, public sector organisation, charity or research and technology organisation (RTO)
- carry out its project work in the UK
- intend to exploit the results from or in the UK
- be invited to take part by the lead applicant
A typical consortium may be constructed around 3 areas:
- one or more partners responsible for the new technology ‘ingredient’
- one or more partners responsible for the new product or service
- the partner responsible for the adoption or use of the product or service
Partners with no funding
Projects can include partners that do not claim grant funding from this competition (for example, non-UK businesses). Their costs will count towards the total project costs and these partners will count as part of the project team.
Partners that do not receive any funding must provide a letter of support indicating their commitment to the project.
Any eligible business can lead or participate only in one application.
A named individual at any academic institution, RTO, public sector organisation or charity cannot collaborate on more than 2 applications.